Band of the Marked (and Friends)
A mysterious and powerful entity with unknown objectives, the Historian seems to be interested in the give and take of information, especially secrets.
Interactions have included:
- Kazuki first found some local stories in the goliath territory on their way to meet Avalyrn, addressed to ‘The Historian’.
- When in the floating ruins near Elkridge, discovered one of the saboteurs trying to destroy Elkridge seemed to be using a book borrowed from the Historian and was trying to change drakes using the information. The book had writing in the front cover describing how the book should be returned to its local planar drop off location, along with a list of locations. The book then flew off and disappeared, presumably to return to its drop off location.
- In her search for teleport circle rituals, Aurora asked Zanatos if he knew anything about what to do. He told her that there were tales of performing certain actions and words to contact ‘The Historian’ to ask for knowledge or questions. He had tried it once but it didn’t work, and hadn’t known anyone else who’d ever had it work either.
- When back closer to Havenstone, Aurora tried the actions Zanatos told her about. Long sinewy golems made entirely of books and pages met her summons, and struck a bargain with her- her memories of the Death World in exchange for several powerful teleportation rituals. Aurora’s memory did not recall the ritual working afterward, but that she found a chest hidden away in caves within the mountains containing the knowledge she sought.
- At the temple of Ioun in the mountains, Aurora investigated any mentions of the Historian. There weren’t mentions to be found, though those who work within the crystal archives will continue to look for any mentions of such a person.
*Rumors from Iounians: The Historian may have been a follower of Ioun, or maybe even an angel – or maybe doesn’t exist at all! Historian may actually be a long-lost interplanar library that still sends out and collects books.
- Ioun does not seem found of The Historian, seeing as his secrets deal kinda goes against her whole deal.
- A weird phone call didn’t get much about The Historian, but the name Kassar came up as someone on a similar path.
- During exploration of the mountains, Aurora, Kazuki and Chahiro made a sidequest to go find Kassar. Turns out to be a scholar-hermit who’s obsessive about stories of ‘Whispering Stones’ and other stories where the hero gets key information just in the knick of time (I see you haven’t lost your delicate sense of huor…), convinced that there is some underlying kernel of truth that connects these stories. They seem different stories than stories told about making deals with devils, so he wanted to know more about what this entity was.
- Kassar’s current investigation was into the ‘Whispering Stones’. With the team’s help, they were able to find through aerial means. Kassar and Aurora both took the time to talk to the stones, whispering secrets to them in exchange for information.
- Aurora learned that there is an always-moving library, and that to find the ‘local drop off point’ she should track down one of the golems/convince it/follow it/ attack it/whatever. She was also given a book that appears old, but blank to everyone except her. To her there are the words written “Once upon a time…”